Search This Blog

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Soulful Sunday

Custom Dungeon Tiles
in a Roll20 AD&D Game I was running.
Sunday is a day of reflection for a good many people scattered around the world.  I don't claim to be especially religious but I thought that reflections on real life issues as they relate to the AD&D / RPG hobby might be appropriate.

Today I thought I'd share a little about the work, family, life, gaming balance.

First of all, I plead guilty to allowing months and years to go by where my AD&D and RPG hobby had such a back seat in my day to day life that it might have well have been dragged down the road behind the car.  During those years I was gaming rarely.  So rarely that perhaps four or five games in an entire year might have been about the average.

Plenty of people who read this outside of the hobby will comment, great.  Sounds like you had your priorities straight.  As I get older however, I am not altogether convinced that they have any bleeding clue in the universe what they are talking about.

Here's the thing.  I love AD&D and I love the RPG hobby in general.  Working on games as a DM and running them for friends has to be at least tied for my number one favorite entertainment activity if not number one.  Throwing all of the game books in the closet and doing nothing but work, family, cleaning the house, getting the kids to school, collapsing into bed ad nauseum might have been the decision of an adult but not a particularly wise adult.  Life is short.  Very short.  I've let so many great gaming opportunities slip past me and chances to go to conventions that it honestly makes me a little sick.  Headed towards fifty years old I've come to the realization that RPG writing, artwork and play is something that makes me fulfilled and happy in the same way that someone that paints or sings or goes skydiving has those activities make them happy.

The bottom line is that you have to make room for this hobby if it is something you love to do or later in life you are going to truly regret it.

Now there will be people, even gamers that will skoff and laugh at the idea that an AD&D guy would actually regret all the games he missed out on, all those times around the table with friends, all the fun laughs and adventures.  They will say, there are so many better things to do with your time!

Well ok.  Then to those people I say, why aren't you out doing those things then.  The point is that I've lived a very diverse and active life so far.  I am not about to abandon ship on all of my adult responsibilities.  For me however, my RPG hobby and DM campaign creation time is at least as fulfilling as your jogging or dance or painting hobby.  This is one of maybe two or three hobby type activities that really gives me personal fulfillment and happiness and I'm not ashamed to admit that to anyone.

I am happy to report that outside of the hiccup of having to move and all that entails that I have a wonderful every other week AD&D group.  After I am settled in the new place I have big plans to expand my home gaming to include at least one second every other week gaming group.  I already have some players in mind for it.  Next year I will score some additional vacation at work.  While I plan to spend half of my annual vacation on my kids I also plan to spend half of my annual vacation on me.  By me I mean hoffing it off to Gary Con, North Texas RPG Con and Gen Con.  WIth any luck it will be one of the most awesome, fun, RPG filled years of my life so far.

I am very excited and looking forward to it.

Happy Gaming!!!

Ed Kann

No comments:

Post a Comment